Fairies in the Field

Fairies in the Field
Kathryn and Olivia playing in the field dressed as fairies. This is one of my very favorite pictures from last summer.

Friday, May 27, 2011

It Begins



The last few days have been filled with this odd kind of dread. It's like, I imagine, knowing that you are going to be run over by a very slow moving train. Oh, and it's a slow moving train that your kids can see coming, too, and you have to keep smiling so they don't get freaked out. So, you have to stand there, let this thing engulf you with a smile plastered on your face.

So, I stood there and let the train begin to move over me, with that stupid smile plastered on my face. They are looking forward to all the fun stuff that mom has planned for the coming months and not focusing on dad's absence. David, of course, is old enough not to be sucked in to the whole charade, and I feel bad about that. But, I have still learned over the years that my reaction tends to steer theirs...so I'll keep this stupid smile on my face if it flipping kills me.

Okay, enough of that. Jon is off to the arctic, via Hawaii. We already miss him and feel the huge hole in our lives. It's going to be a long seven months. But, we're a tough little unit and we'll come through it just fine, we always do. (But, it still sucks...don't be fooled by that stupid smile plastered on my face!) Before the boat left we spent some time with Jon in his (messy) stateroom and running around on the bridge. So, I have pictures! Before the pictures, a word of thanks to my family and friends who help me keep that ridiculous smile on my face...you know who you are.
Okay, so the above is complete and total wishful thinking and demonstrates what happens when you give a guy too much spare time and the equipment necessary to make signs.

David in the captain's chair. We met the Captain right before this, I think she'll not mind having the kids warm her chair for a few minutes.

Kathryn was a bit more introspective of the whole thing.

Yes, the bridge IS that big. Best view in Seattle...well, now it's the best view somewhere headed out the Puget Sound.



Okay, so that's it. I know we'll be fine. It just isn't fun. We are starting off on the right foot, though, on Sunday we'll be spending the afternoon with good friends- enjoying some (hopefully) beautiful weather and good conversation. On Tuesday our dear miss Ruth, who will now be Mrs. Ruth- she got married a week ago- will be back and we'll all jump headlong into regular life.

Peace,
Lainy


No comments: