Fairies in the Field

Fairies in the Field
Kathryn and Olivia playing in the field dressed as fairies. This is one of my very favorite pictures from last summer.

Monday, October 27, 2008

The things that make you homesick....maybe the UnExpected things that make you homesick!

On another forum today someone asked a question about our favorite hymms. I instantly thought of just music, wonderful, brilliant, organ music. Music that you can feel to the soles of your feet- not to mention your soul.

See, it took us awhile to latch on to a church when I was a kid. But, when we did we latched on hard. It was Grace and Holy Trinity Cathedral in the best city in the world, Kansas City. That was the place that I learned, really learned, that all people matter. Not just the wealthy, the straight or the white. All of them matter. And they don't just matter to God, but they should matter to us. It was a pretty powerful thing to learn.

Okay, back to my topic...music and homesick. Well, Grace and Holy Trinity (GHT) has the best pipe organ and one phenomenal organist/music director. While I really embrace and hold dear my memories of that place, the music is what really just absolutely gets me. And today I was reminded of just how much.

In answering the question I immediately thought of several event; Christmas, Easter and the Kirken o'the Tartan....maybe not real orginal you might think, but if you've not been at GHT and heard the magnificant music coming from that magnificant organ on those days...then you just can't even begin to understand.

I decided that I would put a link to some youtube bits of GHTs music. The first was the Easter Recessional- very moving, I was starting to tear up. Then the Kirken o'the Tartan and the bag pipers and the recessional winding it's way through the congregation, the huge stone walls of the church, the rose window...it all worked together and I was sobbing. Literally sobbing.

I wanted to go home so bad at that moment. I found myself desparetely searching the videos for signs of my family. It was pretty intense.

So for your listening enjoyment, the music that made me cry;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv_zUl4VWAA

No comments: