Okay. It's crazy around here. I'm off at work for the first week in three years, Jon is gone doing some inspection somewhere, David is in school and Kathryn...oh, Kathryn, she's in daycare for the first time in her life. You want adventure? Heck, come here, we've got adventure to spare!
So, I (yes, me, the one who likes to sleep in) has to be UP and out of bed at 6am. I do believe that it is prohibited by the Geneva Convention, but somehow I manage to drag my arse out of the bed, creep down the stairs, curse the dogs, drink a cup of coffee (or four) and get in the shower. Thanks to modern science and a newly found love of Emergen-C, I emerge clean and mostly-refreshed at about 6:30. I roust the kidletts. They curse (the kid version, of course), but they start moving. David usually is on his third bowl of cheerios by 7am. Kathryn on the other hand is going to be an issue...she insists that she can eat her breakfast "later", she demands her milk, she pouts over shoe choices, she wants everything "sparkly" and somehow by the end of it all I feel somewhat honored to be allowed in her "space" by the time the van pulls from the drive at 7:30. I shudder at the mere thought of her teen years...
My office. Yep, that about sums it up; my office. It's an honest to God office, not shared with anyone. But. Yep, there's a but. It's green. Not a pleasant hunter or a soothing sage. But, more of a "gee I found this color left over in the store room at the old mental hospital" kind of green. One of the public health nurses stopped by today and told me, with a sick chuckle, that her husband insists that it is the same green that he encountered in the big-box, fast-triage hospitals of his Vietnam days. Somehow, I found that less nostalgic then disturbing.
At any rate, I've got a window. It's currently covered with plastic. But, it's a window and if they ever complete the painting going on on the outside of the building, then maybe I'll get a glimpse of the rose bush that I've been told resides just beyond my green domicile.
Other then that, it seems to be a good gig. I've not actually gotten to do anything. I'm having trouble convincing people that they actually hired me to do a job, and most of my day is concerned with reading. I read the policy on policies today....seriously. But, it's the crazy work that I love. You all should be happy, if there weren't us poor fools that loved government work then you might have to do it.
Oh...let's see, that's just the fun part of the day. Quitting time is a whole new set of problems! I pick up Kathryn who is usually covered head to toe in something. Sometimes I can even tell what it is. She wraps her warm little body around me and won't let go for like three hours. Then we go get David who is following his "friend" Alexis around like a little lost puppy dog, he goes to "after school" and LOVES it, seriously he loves it. Then we come home. Then it seems like all we do is get ready to do it again!
Come on Saturday!
Oh...on a side note...if anyone has any idea what the heck a sparkly caterpillar is, please let me know. I promised to get Kathryn one if she went to school all week this week...she thinks she should only go on Mondays.
2 comments:
Omg Elaine! The sparkly catapillar cracks me up!! I remember an eyebrow or two being raised when Grace would come up with her quacky ideas! I love it! She sounds like such a sweet individual with a great "sparkly" imagination! Good luck with figuring out where to get one. I think your imagination will work out best! What about a homemade hair bow with glitter in the shape of a catapillar? LOL Love the blog!
Shoot! You almost make me want to stop thinking about going back to work again. The whole "up in the morning" thing kills me. If I could start my day at noon, that'd be just dandy. I remember the harried mornings last year of shoveling all three kids out the door with me-that did not equal fun. I loved the work thing, but the chaos that went with it was less than desirable.
I hope you are enjoying your new job despite the greenishness of your walls.
Post a Comment